Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Great Conch Caper Continues...




Stewed conch, conch fritters, grilled conch, conch soup, conch salad....there are many ways to prepare and eat conch, and Rocketts and I are on a mission to try every single one of them.  We are addicted to conch fritters, and the conch salad from Daddy Brown's Conch Stand is beyond divine!  Fresh is almost an understatement of absurd proportions; they take conch shells harvested from the sea floor just that morning, and only after you've placed your order for a conch salad do they extract the white meat from the shell by banging on it and pulling it out with their hands.  Leon-our chonchmaster that day-then took the entire piece of conch meat, diced it up, and mixed it with chopped onion, green pepper, tomato, fresh orange and lime juice, and a little bit of the secret hot "spice."  The result: a ceviche-style salad that makes you wonder how you ever survived without it!  We also have crack'd conch (deep fried conch) under our belts--served along side shark strips, a surprisingly DELICIOUS dish that tastes, oddly enough, a little like chicken.  And to round out the count, today I had a cozy conch stew.  They say that people come to the Bahamas just to eat the conch.  At this point, I would have to count myself a believer!  I wonder if the Daddy Brown's is still open...

1 comment:

Cricket said...

Ooohhhhhh, you are making me sooo hungry. I love conch fritters. In Miami there was a wonderful little dive run by a family from the Bahamas. My boyfriend (at that time) and I would go there and since it was not in a vey good part of town, he would leave the car running lock me in and go inside to get us fritters. We never knew what we would encounter in that not so nice neighborhood. But ohhhhh the danger was worth it...LOL

Love ya,
Cricket