Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Sweet Sound of Freedom


This Thursday was the 35th anniversary of Bahamian Independence, and the festivities spilled over into the weekend.  From the door of my hotel room I had perfect view of the glorious fireworks commemorating that day so precious to this people I am now living among.   I was only partial surprised by the tears that filled my eyes as my heart swelled with each new volley of light, color,  and sound.  Not even a week prior I stood in my own backyard, in my own country, watching a mirror image of these fireworks explode into the sky over my own corner of our Land of the Free.  Now, a stranger in this island country, I found myself not completely a mere spectator of this joyous and sacred celebration.  When the sound of Freedom rings, it rings into every heart.  When a flag flies under free skies, all of humanity is blessed for it.  Congratulations, my Bahamian brothers and sisters, on 35 years of blessed Freedom.  May your flag always fly free and proud.

1 comment:

Cricket said...

Wow...your words are so poetic, I can almost feel what you are feeling. And yes...Freedom is a wondrful thing no matter where you are.

Love ya,
Cricket